[LMB] OT: Owl or Lark? was sleep remedies

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Tue Sep 10 02:37:05 BST 2013

On Sep 9, 2013, at 5:42 PM, <mmegaera at nwlink.com> wrote:

> Howard:
>> I was allowed to pretty much pick my hours.    Working early let me play golf later.
>
>> One job I had encouraged off-hours, as we had customers in a wide variety of time zones.
>
> You *do* realize how unusual that is, and how it's colored your opinion of DST, don't you?  At least now I see the point of view you're arguing from, but criminy.  Would you still be thinking the same way if your employer had been unyielding about "you come in at this particular time and you leave at that particular time" with no flexibility whatsoever for your entire adult life?
>
>> Still, if we really want to save daylight, we shouldn't sleep through it. There was a claim that DST saves energy, but that claim was disproved as some states switched to it.
>
> True.  But if an employer insists on certain work hours, as most do, then there's not much to be done about one's sleep hours outside of a fairly narrow limit.
>
> I've worked all sorts of different hours and shifts (everything from 6 am-2:30 pm -- ye godlings, was that one awful -- to 12 noon-9pm, which was probably my favorite) in the last thirty-odd years, but only since starting my own business three years ago have I been able to set my own schedule.
>
> Megaera

I do see.    And I see different employers starting shifts at different times, especially at companies that need to be open when people aren't at work.

What I object to is everybody walking in step, switching their hours by an hour twice per year, especially in the proven false reason of "saving energy".    It's the state "Doing something" - but accomplishing nothing.    What you and your employer agree to is one thing - which doesn't need to be futzed with by the state.

Farmers pretty much ignore it, as they need to use natural cycles for their work.