[LMB] Quaddie brains

Judy R. Johnson jrj at fidalgo.net
Tue Sep 10 02:52:07 BST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk
[mailto:lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk] On Behalf Of Eric Oppen
Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2013 10:32 AM

I've seen pictures of people who were either born without arms or lost them
both very young who were able to do all sorts of incredible things with just
their legs.  I'd say that the quaddies sound quite plausible.

================
JRJ on Monday, September 09, 2013

My mother was almost totally paralyzed by polio back in the early 1950s, and
lived until her death 8 years later in a ward where people were encouraged
to use whatever worked.  So one woman did oil painting with her feet;
detailed work (she must have had good eyesight, too).  My mother typed on an
electric typewriter, using a sling so that her slight movement with one hand
could be amplified into one key tap per swing, and edited the hospital
newsletter that way.  She could feed herself, with a good deal of effort,
too.  Mostly, however, she used her remaining hand movement to wield a gizmo
to turn the pages of books (no eBooks then).

These activities required the nursing staff to sit the patients up and
arrange the equipment, but if any tiny part of you still worked, they made
the most of it.  (I can't say enough good things about Rancho Los Amigos and
the care they gave.  Before polio immunization, 1/2 the doctors and nurses
were said to have contracted the disease themselves, from their patients.)

So I have no trouble believing in the physical capabilities of the Quaddies.
They had no disease inhibiting muscles or nerves, no gravity to fight.  And
what genetic engineering hadn't accomplished, epigenetic adaptation might
have supplied.

--
Entwife Judy
Who believes the status quo is seldom well enough to be let alone