[LMB] Odd non-fiction book (very Fawn, though)

BJ van Look vanlook at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 10 13:11:18 BST 2013

I've gotten this old book, a 1960s reprint of a book originally published when Rutherford B. Hayes was in office, as his wife apparently contributed recipes to it.

It's called "Housekeeping in Old Virginia" and it records recipes for preparing just about any food available in the USA in the 1870s-1880s, as well as preparing your own household cleaners, fabric care, laundry, herbal remedies, etc.

The sheer amount of lard they went through boggles my mind. That and I don't want my medical care to be from the 1870s ("add mercury sufficient to complete the task. Drink 1 cup every day"). eek.

It does make me think of Fawn and her little book of Lakewalker recipes, though.

BJ

--
BJ van Look           vanlook (at) yahoo (dot) com
Speaking only for myself and my evil twin Skippy.