[LMB] OT: real world implants

Heather Harper harpingheather at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 18:47:31 BST 2013

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Peter Granzeau <pgranzeau at cox.net> wrote:

> At 01:36 PM 9/9/2013, you wrote:
>
>> "The flaws in the Dalkon Shield were specific to its unique design, not
>>> applicable to IUD?s in general, which are on average among the safest
>>> and most effective reversible contraceptives available. But by the mid
>>> 1980?s, IUDs largely disappeared from the US market, and an entire
>>> generation of American women who wanted modern contraception was forced
>>> to depend on methods with more downside, including unwanted
>>> pregnancies."
>>>

>> The Dalkon shield nearly killed me, I spent 7 days in the hospital on IV
>> antibiotics, and they told me I was probably sterile.  (It was ten years
>> before I got pregnant).  Even before the pelvic infection, it was
>> incredibly painful.
>>

> You are ignoring the point of the OP.

I think you're not accounting for human nature.  If I had had (or someone I
knew had had) such an experience, no way would I try any other IUD.
 Presumably the flaws of the Dalkon Shield weren't known until they showed
up; who is going to risk being the "lucky" one to discover the next one's
flaws?  Now there's more solid data to work from and better techniques so
it's a better risk but that "entire generation of American women" were most
likely choosing to depend on methods that didn't put them in the hospital.