[LMB] When do you write?

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Tue Sep 10 21:36:31 BST 2013

On Sep 9, 2013, at 8:10 PM, Lois McMaster Bujold <lbujold at myinfmail.com> wrote:

> If I had a story I strongly wanted to tell, I could probably go back to some method of putting it first in my energy queue, wherever in the day that falls, but I don't at present.
>
> Ta, L.  Now going off to read an actual book.  It's not a very good book, but I mean to finish it anyway.

Being retired myself, I know how hard it is to get going in small projects - and writing a book is a big project.    It would be interesting if the muse hit you for something short.

I suppose you're wondering too what would happen if you got a novel sized story started in your head and needed to find out what happens.   Would you be able to work at half speed, keeping your energy up?    Selfishly, I hope you find out someday.

>  My life seems to be on hold at the moment waiting for my son to move out, again.  Which is utterly pointless -- I used to write around _much_ more interruption than he presently supplies, but darn it, having worked for all those years to launch a family I think they should _stay launched_. Mutter.  I do spend a bit of time fantasizing about selling the house, moving, and not telling him where I've gone, but it probably wouldn't work; he'd be clever enough to track me down.

That works in the other direction too for many of us - having parents that need our care and time.