[LMB] Quaddie brains

Jason Long sturmvogel66 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 21:27:21 BST 2013

It's true that new neurons are created, but, AFAIK, they're mostly all
related to memory. The somatosensory cortex, which is the part of the brain
we're discussing here, seems to have a fixed number of neurons, although
that number will vary between people. I don't believe that new neurons are
created there in response to the gaining of physical skills; existing
neurons just get reprogrammed, so to speak. So, yes, I think that you do
benefit somewhere else if everything else is equal (and it's usually not
due to genetic differences). And I think that you're right in that most
people don't even notice any difference.