[LMB] OT: owl or lark, was sleep remedies

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 12 09:47:05 BST 2013

> From: "Jean Lamb" <tlambs1138 at charter.net>

> On Sep 9, 2013, at 7:28 PM, Jean Lamb <tlambs1138 at charter.net> wrote:
> > Sort of an owl, married to a vampire (which must be dominant, because
> > both children are vampires). The time I worked swing shift as a
> > nurse's aide was the best shift, ever, for proper and enough sleep.

> What's the difference between an owl and a vampire in this discussion?

An owl will pounce on its prey, rip the head off and consume the
rest. A vampire will do exactly the same, but will look a lot sexier
while it does it.

Related to bedtimes - an owl hunts at night because its prey is out
then.  A vampire hunts at night because it's avoiding a flaming,
agonising death. Same effect, different motives.

> To me, a vampire is sort of a super-owl; owls stay up late and sleep late,
> but vampires stay up till dawn (Mike used to do that occasionally during
> summer vacation, though he hasn't done that for a couple of years, he's
> getting more of an owl and less vampire as he ages, though he prays that
> he'll never become a super-lark like his dad; 4 am is what you stay up to,
> not when you wake up, or so he fervently hopes).

I fully agree - I sometimes stay up till dawn (usually reading) but I rarely
see dawn from the front.

I can't stand those larks who seem to think there's some virtue in being
awake at an unreasonably early hour of the  morning ('oh, sorry, did I wake
you? I've been up for HOURS!') but woe betide you if you call them late in
the evening.  Hmph.

Gwynne (who is related to far too many larks.)