[LMB] OT: Water, water everywhere

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 13 04:55:57 BST 2013

I'm really grateful for the bottled water boom. I don't care if it's tap or not -- I've also heard that tap is cleaner than spring water. All that matters to me is the taste, and most big cities have icky-tasting water, IME. When I get to a hotel, near the top of the list is to stop by a near-by convenience store and get several liters of water.

I freeze water in used bottles (1 liter) and take two to school.

I've heard that the plastic isn't the healthiest thing in the world, but . . . I choose my battles. Light-weight, easy to get rid of when contaminated and fairly strong. At my weight, dehydration is easy to do, and not very comfortable.

Part of the guy's calculations may be skewed because of single serving vs. by the case. A 24-bottle case of water from Costco is not that much more expensive than a 24-can case of soft drinks. And yes, super-handy to have on hand if you think you are going to need water during an emergency. I try and have a case of water and a case of other (usually sparkling water) on hand for the 11 of us -- we live about five minutes walk from a river, so I figure we can haul some water and boil it on the wood stove if the water is out for longer than 24 hours.

Micki

Micki