[LMB] OT: AKICOTL, Norteno Cooking question

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Tue Sep 17 04:52:46 BST 2013

On Sep 16, 2013, at 9:24 PM, Carol Botteron <botteron at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> Howard, your recipes sound delicious, but in what came to me, some of the ingredient amounts have "?" in them that were probably non-ASCII fractions.  I'd appreciate it if you could either repost or email it to me with the fractions typed as (e.g.) 1/2.  I'm writing to the list in case others have the same problem.  adTHANKSvance!

You're the 2nd person to ask that, so I"m posting my earlier reply to all:

Interesting, her old recipe was in Word format.   Let me see what happens if I copy it to text format first:

Or maybe you can't read the fractions,  let me add those within parenthesis.

Cheese & Chili Cornbread

3 eggs
1 can (8 oz) whole kernel corn (drained)
1 can (4 oz) green chilis, drained & chopped
1 cup yellow corn meal
1 tsp salt
1 ½ (1.5) tsp baking powder
1 cup sour cream
¾ (.75)cup butter, melted
¼ (.25)cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated

Lightly grease and 9”x9” flour pan.
Beat eggs slightly
Add corn & chilis
Mix well.
Stir in rest of ingredients
Put in pan
Bake 40 minutes until golden on top and fork inserted in center comes out clean.

South Fork Chili
2 ½ (2.5) lb ground beef, in chunks
2 cups chopped onions
1 chopped green pepper
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1-2 tbls crushed hot pepper
3 tbls chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
½ (.5) tsp oregano
2 ½ (2.5) tsp salt
2 cans (1 lb size) red kidney beans
2 cans (1 lb size) whole tomatoes, undrained
1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce

Brown beef
Add all but canned ingredients and mix well.
Cook until onions and peppers are tender.
Add canned ingredients
Break up tomatoes and simmer for about 45 minutes.