[LMB] OT: AKICOTL, Norteno Cooking question

mmegaera at nwlink.com mmegaera at nwlink.com
Tue Sep 17 17:44:54 BST 2013

What is this?  To me tomato sauce is the stuff that Heinz sells in bottles
and North Americans call ketchup.  Now, I'm wondering if it's tomato puree
(aka tomato paste) but I've never heard that called tomato sauce.  I've
heard the stuff that you put on pasta, sold in big glass jars, called tomato
sauce.  I'm going to guess it's tomato paste, but it's going to have a fair
old effect on the recipe if I guess wrong!
Carol

It's not ketchup.  It's not tomato paste (which is way thicker and more
concentrated and not the same even if it's watered down).  It's not pasta
sauce (the stuff in the jars).

It's, er, tomato sauce.
http://www.amazon.com/Contadina-Tomato-Sauce-8-Ounce-Pack/dp/B0044QZ718/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1379436008&sr=8-7&keywords=tomato+sauce

Sort of the consistency of jarred pasta sauce, but without any ingredients
except for the tomatoes and some salt.  It's a staple in American cooking,
especially in cuisines like Mexican and Italian.

Megaera