[LMB] OT: AKICOTL, Norteno Cooking question

Carol Cooper carolcooper at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 17 23:57:39 BST 2013

Elizabeth Holden wrote
> Sometimes the conversations here confuse me, maybe because I don't
> always see them in chronological order.
>
> Can't speak for Americans, but as a Canadian, I would never call ketchup
> tomato cause - it isn't a sauce, it's a condiment, and it hasn't much in
the
> way of tomatoes in it, and I don't know anyone who would ever put it on
> pasta.? It may have once been called "tomato ketchup" but I don't recall
that
> in my lifetime.
> ?
> Tomato sauce is a sauce made from tomatoes, spices, and other ingredients
> and sold to put on pasta or other foods.
>
> Each is named and marketed accordingly.

Yes, but that's from a purely North American perspective, and I know I get
confused because of North American nomenclature and that's why I was seeking
clarification.  To Brits, and evidently to Australians (going by Iestyn's
comment) and probably most of the rest of the English-speaking world, tomato
sauce is the stuff that Heinz sells which you put on hotdogs and burgers -
and which North Americans call ketchup.  Brits understand the term ketchup,
but they're not particularly likely to use it (the term, not the condiment).
Hence my enquiry about Howard's tomato sauce because I knew he wouldn't be
using the term in the way I understand it and I wanted to try out his
recipe.

I notice this 'two countries separated by the same tongue' bit going on
particularly in culinary debate, probably because it's important to know
exactly what ingredient you're talking about if the recipe is to come out
correctly.  It's a minefield, because you're not even likely to suspect that
people are using a term in a different sense unless you happen to know a bit
about the other culture.
Carol