[LMB] OT: Two kitchens divided by a single language

T Neill t_neill at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 18 02:21:18 BST 2013

Hence my parenthetical statements on measures and courgettes and substitutes for cream cheese.  When we go to Britain on holiday we almost always stay in youth hostels and cook our own dinner.  Cooking our standard fare can be a challenge in the face of lack of ingredients (or not being able to find ingredients that are probably there if one but knew where to look or what they were called).  At one time finding peanut butter was hard. But by 2009 in Scotland (the last time we were there) it was in every shop we went to.

On the other hand, we did discover packets of Coleman's Shepherd's Pie seasoning mix.  Wow, that was good!  (Once I realized the relationship between minced beef and ground beef.)  And rhubarb yoghurt.  My wife was in heaven after that!

We're going back next year for WorldCon.  I plan on trawling the shops for other ideas.  Or maybe I'll ask here.  Potatoes and cheese or coffee stew get old after a while.

T Neill