[LMB] 9 Women Who Shaped Science Fiction

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Wed Sep 18 17:17:44 BST 2013

Norton has had at least as much influence as Heinlein, though not as
overtly--her children's and YA books were the first SF/F millions of people
read, as minors, and influenced their tastes, outlooks, and expectations.

Heinlein wrote little of what's perceived as fantasy.  Note today that
fantasy is much more popular than SF, and may be the plurality genre, when
including children's and  YA books  and paranormal and fantasy romance and
paranormal mysteries, in addition to straight "fantasy."  Andre Norton's
output however included contemporary fantasy, high fantasy, alternate world
fantasy, historical fantasy... and her writing directly influenced several
generations of SF/F writers.

Joan Vinge's fascination with the Beaker People from Andre Norton's work,
led to Joan Vinge's writing career, is only -one- example.

The list is, again, clickbait.