[LMB] OT: Books and technology

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Thu Sep 19 17:06:57 BST 2013

Sylvia asks:

> Is '50 Shades of Grey' worse than '101 Uses for a Dead Cat'?
> Having read neither, I can't say, but as titles go.....

I'm sure sure what your question implies - that they are goofy titles?  Or that they are bad books? I don't think "50 Shades of Grey" really implies much about the content of the book (it could be the adventures of a B&W photographer on safari) and, as titles go, is nondescript rather than bad.  '101 Used for a Dead Cat' at least caught the attention, and the book was rather funny, though not particularly memorable.

I wonder what it implies about me that I have read both.  Eclecticism, I like to think. Or, rather... I'm not sure this is a personality flaw or just a trait.. I feel compelled to look at, or read, any book that gets any fame or notoriety just so I'll know what people are talking about when they talk about it. I don't care about TV shows or movies or anything else that way, but books?  I often read things because they are famous. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have read all the Harry Potter books had they not been so famous, for example.  Sometimes I am favourably surprised. Sometimes it gives me something to rant about.

I am always looking for recommendations.  Sometimes I hate the books or authors my friends recommend - not surprising, we all have different tastes - but it's always fun to check and see what I think.

After all, I'd never have read Bujold novels were it not for the Hugo publicity.

namaste,
Elizabeth