[LMB] OT: Harry Potter, was 9 Women Who Shaped Science Fiction

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Thu Sep 19 20:27:24 BST 2013

On Sep 19, 2013, at 9:22 AM, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2013, at 7:12 AM, Jeff Shultz <jeffshultz at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> But there is the potential for improvement and people working towards
>> that. In what I consider dystopia (I am Legend is a good example),
>> there is no hope.
>>
>> Harry Potter has hope - and it wins out in the end.
>
> I did't see any sign that there will be improvement in any of those.

But you said that you didn't finish the series.  It does become very dark in places, but there is hope fulfilled beyond despair, and redemption for some characters.  I'm not sure all the issues you mentioned are explicitly addressed, but the implication is that some of them have changed.  Dystopian does not seem to fit at all.

Katherine