[LMB] OT: Mary Sues

Elin B elbju at yahoo.se
Thu Sep 19 22:35:54 BST 2013

________________________________
 "mmegaera at nwlink.com" <mmegaera at nwlink.com> wrote:
> [LMB] OT: Mary Sues

>Rachel:
>> Thinking of male Mary Sues, if I think back to the stuff my guy friends
>>wrote back in high school they typically appeared as absolutely unbeatable
>>swordsmen.

>I've sometimes heard the term Marty Stu for the male version.  I don't know
>how common that is, or if it has the same pejorative quality.
>
>Megaera

Gary Stu is the one I've seen more often.

I started out reading fanfiction in a rather guy-heavy fandom, Ranma 1/2 in the late nineties/early oughts. Most Cool Mysterious OCs were guys, though a good number were girls, too. Some at least were pretty clearly self-inserts.

But I didn't see the term "Mary Sue" that much. At least one corner of the fandom instead used the acronym "ANC", for Annoying New Character. I thought that was a pretty useful term.

Elin