[LMB] OT: Mary Sues

beatrice_otter at haugensgalleri.com beatrice_otter at haugensgalleri.com
Thu Sep 19 23:48:08 BST 2013

mmegaera at nwlink.com wrote:
> I've sometimes heard the term Marty Stu for the male version.  I don't
> know
> how common that is, or if it has the same pejorative quality.
>
> Megaera

That's a very telling issue.  Because there *is* the term Marty Stu ...
but it's almost never used.  I can think of several instances where a
female character is given less ability/competence than a male character,
and the male character gets a pass and the female one gets ripped to
shreds for being an unrealistic Mary Sue.  (Note that people call
unrealistic female characters in canon "Canon Sue".  There is no
equivalent male term.)

Beatrice Otter