[LMB] bottled water - not entirely OT

BlueRose stacey at xtra.co.nz
Fri Sep 20 00:09:19 BST 2013

________________________________
 From: Katherine Collett <kcollett at hamilton.edu>
To: Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold. <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Sent: Friday, 20 September 2013 7:34 AM
Subject: Re: [LMB] bottled water - not entirely OT

On Sep 19, 2013, at 3:00 PM, Damien Sullivan <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

> Pre-bottled water is largely being marketed as an *alternative* to tap
> water, not a supplement for when tap water isn't available.  "spring
> water" and all.  That's why it's being questioned.

Yeah, that's the point. When tap water is available to fill one's own bottles or drink from a fountain or whatever, that's what makes sense.  That said, the best thing we did on a visit to London in a heat-wave some years ago was to buy bottled water at the beginning of the visit--and then we refilled the bottles at every chance we got.

S- all things being equal thats a viable option however I can tell you from personal experience that not all tap water is created equal.  I live in CHCH where our tap water is artesian water and generally considered very pure and not treated with chlorine as standard practice.  Because of infrastructure damage during the earthquakes we had to boil our water for several weeks and then they chlorinated it HEAVILY for about a year or so after, and it was SO DISGUSTING the cat wouldnt drink it and neither would the humans in the house.  So we continued to boil it to evap off the chlorine to have drinking and cooking water (and also have stock on hand should there be another quake)

Fortunately things eventually reverted back to normal but if I go anywhere else even in NZ the water quality is noticeably bad, and my first trip to Melbourne was memorable for the fact that I smelt like a swimming pool the entire time I was there, the chlorine in the water in my morning shower stayed with me all day, and  I had to have bottled water to clean my teeth.

And in places like India and Asia the quality is dodgy enough that for health reasons while travelling its recommended you don't drink the tap water. No holiday is improved by a case of Delhi Belly :(

Stacey