[LMB] OT: Judging a Mary Sue

Rebecca Price becca_price at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 20 13:31:26 BST 2013

The original Mary Sue, as I understand it, isn't just author
self-insertion, it's that she's usually very young for her accomplishments,
stunningly beautiful (although frequently in a non-traditional way), she
can out-command the commander, out-science the science officer, comes up
with the medical information *just* in the nick of time, and everybody
loves her. In the original Mary Sue, she also dies nobly (and may be
resurrected by some sort of long-chance medical miracle.)

Kvoth in the Name of the Wind books has been criticized as being something
of a Marty Stu, although I've seen arguments both ways on that one.

-becca