[LMB] Happy Birthday, Simon Illyan

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Fri Sep 20 18:01:51 BST 2013

[LMB] Happy Birthday, Simon Illyan
Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Fri Sep 20 15:27:02 BST 2013

Elizabeth:  I think it was more that Simon Illyan was "inspired by"
Illya Kuryakin, rather than "based on".

LMB:  Illyan had, as is usual for one of my fictional characters, many
sources blurred together, complicated by his not being made up all at
once.  Once my characters are up and running, they tend quickly to
become self-propelled and self-modifying.

The name is a double homage to 60s TV, to Illya Kuryakin of
_U.N.C.L.E._, and to the much more obscure character of Simon Butcher, a
character from a short-lived show on the year before _Star Trek_ called
_The Wackiest Ship in the Army_, not to be confused with the feature
film or book of the same title (neither of which have the character).
But the connection goes no further than homage (or my usual rather
desperate grubbing for names), I'm afraid, apologies to all those rather
OCDish 1:1-correspondence hunters out there.

If you _want_ to use young McCallum for a mental model, I will certainly
not object, tho' he's a bit handsomer and more chiseled of feature than
my Illyan.

Ta, L.   ... Did someone say _80_...?  Noooo...!