[LMB] bottled water - not entirely OT

Sue Cone suecone at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 20 19:11:19 BST 2013

When I was living back in the bush in Liberia in the 60s, we boiled all
our drinking water for 20 minutes, then it went very slowly through big
stone filters.  Our clothes were washed in the river, and then ironed
with charcoal irons ostensibly to kill all the nasty river bugs.  (I
didn't have to do that -- there were native launderers.)  Of course we
showered (bucket shower) in the same river water...anyway, we were darn
careful about drinking water, and once in a while got various "runny
belly" anyway. When in Monrovia we mostly drank bottled soda (Fanta and
Coke) as you couldn't trust the water there either.  We could also trust
Scotch.  We flew back via Amsterdam, and it was such a treat to drink
water right from the tap.

Sue
--
Sue Cone and the Chesapeakes
CH/OTCH Getty UDX2, UOCH UUDX Hannah UDX3 OM3 VER

"The issue today is the same as it has been throughout all history,
whether man shall be allowed to govern himself or be ruled by a small
elite."  Thomas Jefferson