[LMB] OT: Tamora Pierce, Protector of the Small

John Lennard john.c.lennard at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 10:22:01 BST 2013

Sylvia: Looks really nice. I wonder how anyone can see, when that helmet
covers her face down to the
chin?

Margaret Dean, who used to sketch helmets for heraldry drawings: The glare
on the metal makes it hard to see, but I believe there's an
eye-slit just above where the helmet flares out.  :)

John: Yup, Margaret's correct. The image is of composite late C15 German
armour, and just about then they were having a bit of a to-do about
bascinets versus armets with visors, beavers, and/or adjustable cheek
plates. Though quite stylish, this doesn't look to me like the best
compromise idea, and I'm of the opinion that there should be a gorget,
probably in chain-mail. But hey, the image was available to use for free,
unlike many pics of armour, and the Tortall canon isn't exactly definitive
about the exact kinds of armour used ...

www.humanities-ebooks.co.uk

*Talking Sense About 'Fifty Shades of Grey', or Fanfiction, Feminism, and
BDSM*
The story the media *isn't* telling, available now at Amazon's Kindle Store.