[LMB] OT: Mary Sues

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 01:16:21 BST 2013

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 6:59 PM, Pat Mathews <mathews55 at msn.com> wrote:

> > <lost track of who wrote this bit, sorry>
> > I can think of several instances where a
> > female character is given less ability/competence than a male character,
> > and the male character gets a pass and the female one gets ripped to
> > shreds for being an unrealistic Mary Sue. *snip*
> >

> The male Mary Sue is called The Great Hero. Steve Stirling's Rudi
> MacKenzie would have been dismissed as a Mary Sue if he'd been a female
> written by a female.
>
>  *snicker* and a handsome fellow he is, too, isn't he?
Just finished reading his last book, and one character rolls his eyes and
says 'red haired high kings with swords, now I've seen it all" or something
to that effect.

But Rudi's mother was a bard and a leader and wonderful in all ways, not to
mention she has visions and talks to the gods on occasion.  Is she a Mary
Sue as well?

--
visit me at http://sylviamcivers.livejournal.com/