[LMB] OT: When science fiction is science fact

Heather Harper harpingheather at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 14:10:35 BST 2013

http://o.canada.com/2013/09/21/man-brews-beer-in-his-stomach/

One of the characters in Janet Kagan's "Hellspark" suffers from an alien
disease that makes her get progressively more drunk, even if she doesn't
drink, unless she takes certain medication.  I guess now I know what the
inspiration was!

Also, the story of the "sticky canes" in "Mirabile" and how they almost
died out without the mega-fauna that used to be able to digest their seeds
sounds a lot like what I was reading recently about avocados.

It's fun to find the real-world connections to a beloved story, though
sometimes it feels more like finding the man behind the curtain.

Take care,
Heather