[LMB] OT: Mar(t)y Sues

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 19:01:44 BST 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 11:56 PM, Eric Oppen <technomad at intergate.com>wrote:

> Or the utterly evil 'villain.'  Ellsworth Toohey is a very difficult
> character for me to believe in

I find him far easier to believe in than Rand's other villains; and
further, believable in himself.  A very smart man who is sufficiently in
touch with reality to recognize how little most other people are, and who
understands people well enough to be able to manipulate them expertly, and
with a sick desire to destroy people in order to enjoy the exertion of
power.  He reminds me a great deal of Stalin, actually, which is the point.

> I always liked Frank Lloyd Wright's pre-Modernist-period bungalows a lot
> better than I did things like "Fallingwater."

Fallingwater is a disaster if you try to live in it, I've been told.
Horrendous moisture problems, and the sound of the water seems great until
you want to go to sleep; it collects sunlight and thus heat by day, and
becomes cold and clammy at night.  The outdoor cauldrons for boiling wine
are colored with leaded paint, to put the poisonous cherry atop the
architectural nightmare sundae.

It's a fantastic sculpture, but a terrible house.

Anyway, Rand has her good points, which make her bad points tragic.  If she
were Dan Brown, I wouldn't give a flying fig.

Matt G.