[LMB] OT: Mar(t)y Sues

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 19:48:59 BST 2013

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Judy R. Johnson <jrj at fidalgo.net> wrote:

> Should think that, on Beta, school kids are periodically monitored for
> mental adjustment and, on the whole, it would be a positive advantage.

"The real hopeless victims of mental illness are to be found among those
who appear to be most normal.  Many of them are normal because they are so
well-adjusted to our mode of existence, because their human voice has been
silenced so early in their lives that they do not even struggle or suffer
or develop symptoms as the neurotic does.  They are normal not in what may
be called the absolute sense of the word; they are normal only in relation
to a profoundly abnormal society.  Their perfect adjustment to that
abnormal society is a measure of their mental sickness.  These millions of
abnormally normal people, living without fuss in a society to which, if
they were fully human beings, they ought not to be adjusted."

- Aldous Huxley, *Brave New World Revisited*