[LMB] CVA in Croatia

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Mon Sep 30 18:51:51 BST 2013

On 9/28/2013 6:09 PM, Karen Hunt wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 4:26  PM, Eric Oppen <technomad at intergate.com>
 > wrote:
 >
 >>> Yeah, but I bet he'd annoy the School board
 >>> /admisitration/whatever  by revising the curriculum
 >>>
 >>> Now I'm envisioning Miles in the main role of the movie _School
 >>> of Rock._
 >>

 > Hm... I'm picturing him not so much revising the curriculum as
 > deciding that its for other people, just like rules are....

     For some reason, that puts me strongly in mind of a scene from a
(non-LMB) fanfic located here: http://www.eyrie.net/UF/FI/miracle.txt

The whole funeral rant is much longer, but I'll excerpt part of the
relevant section here briefly:

  "I have a few other guesses. She didn't leave the lab monitor work to
her TA. In fact, I'd bet she didn't even -have- a TA. Am I right?"
Again, a chorus of affirmatives. "If you went to the lab during lab
hours, she was there. If you went to the lab during NON-lab hours,
chances are she was there, or in her office. I'd bet you -never-
couldn't find her if you needed her. The syllabus probably had her home
phone number on it, call anytime, day or night, if you need a hand.
Hmm?" Again the answer was yes. "I'm not finished yet! Once or twice, on
lab days, you'd come in and find her playing a game, hm? And she'd
invite you all to help her with it, or play your own, and to hell with
lab that day! We're gonna crank up the InSoc and have ourselves a
party!" The affirmative choruses were starting to almost resemble crowd
yells at sports rallies. "The first really nice day of spring, she
probably came into class and said, 'It's a beautiful day. You're only
young once unless you're damn lucky. Let's go waste some time at the
amusement park while I'm still tall enough to ride the log flume.', and
then you all trooped across the foot bridge to Funland and blew off the
afternoon."

     I can *so* see Miles saying that.  Even the "tall enough" part,
later on when he could laugh at his own height issues for real, instead
of mockingly.