[LMB] OT: towns, states, names mix-up Birthday Tixie

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 12:19:23 GMT 2014

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 22:22:43 -0500, Katherine Collett
<kcollett at hamilton.edu> wrote:

>On Nov 30, 2014, at 10:05 PM, M. Haller Yamada <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>> Harvey says: There is also the village of Florida, New York, where William Seward, Abraham
>> Lincoln's Secretary of State, was born.

>> Micki: I was just thinking of New York . . . they also have a Mexico, New York. "I'm moving to Mexico" has a different meaning to natives of, say, Fulton, NY, than it does for people not from the area.
>
>Upstate NY also has Cuba, Poland, Russia ....

One of the motorcycle mags once did a "round the world, without leaving
the UK" issue.

We have:

New York
Pennsylvania
California
China
Holland

and so on for several pages.

Plus, of course, a lot of the prototypes for US city and county names.

Boston, Washington, Portland, Birmingham, Manchester, Newark....
--

Marc

Power corrupts: PowerPoint corrupts absolutely.  -  Prof. EdwardTufte