[LMB] The Law on Barrayar

Pat Mathews mathews55 at msn.com
Tue Dec 2 15:27:15 GMT 2014

> Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 01:53:52 -0600
> From: ravenclaweric at gmail.com
> To: lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk
> Subject: Re: [LMB] The Law on Barrayar
>
> "May God bless and keep the Count---FAR AWAY from us!"
>
> On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 8:00 AM, M. Haller Yamada <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I wonder if "village rights" are actually more important in practice than
> > in theory. The vale seems to have been pretty much allowed to govern
> > itself; petitioning for electricity etc really only had effect when they'd
> > already caught the heir's eye. Perhaps traditionally, Vor Lords were too
> > busy making war on each other to really mess with local politics. So, many
> > rights would depend upon the community? I'm sure villagers would have to
> > pay taxes, and maybe supplies and men during times of war. But as long as
> > they did that, I don't see the Lord messing around too much with them. And
> > vice versa -- as long as the Lord was holding up his end of the feudal
> > deal, they probably tried not to bother him too much.  Micki (Just
> > speculating.)
> > --

Since I have seen no sign of a second-or-third-level aristocracy, the sort of lord who lived on the manor and was basically the richest farmer around, I'd say the villages were so self-sufficient that when modernizing Counts try to bring uniform law and cash taxation to them, there will be (or was) an almighty uproar. "Treading on our ancient liberties!"