[LMB] Marrying out of Vor

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Tue Dec 2 23:51:12 GMT 2014

On Tue, 2 Dec 2014, scottwashburn at comcast.net wrote:
> When a non-Vor woman marries a Vor husband she becomes Vor. We've seen this in the case of Miles' grandfather and father marrying non-Barrayarans (and hence, non-Vor) and yet the women became Countess Vorkosigan. And Tej by marrying Ivan became Lady Vorpatril. So no problem there.
>
> But what if (heaven forbid) a Vor woman marries a non-Vor husband? Is she just tossed out of the Vor class? Disowned, dishonored? Or does she still retain some Vor privileges? And her children (her Vor father's grandchildren), do they retain any Vor connections?

Wasn't there something in ACC or CVA where Ivan bemoaned the lack of
eligible females -- and one factor was Vor maidens marrying successful
business people, not all of which were Vor?

There was no implication there that I remember that they lost any status
as Vor.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"Sherlock Holmes gets to be brilliant, solitary, abrasive, Bohemian, whimsical, brave, sad, manipulative, neurotic, vain, untidy, fastidious, artistic,
courteous, rude, a polymath genius. Female characters get to be Strong." -- Sophia McDougall