[LMB] Music, was: The Law on Barrayar

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 01:53:16 GMT 2014

Judging from the library and the refinement of construction, I bet musical instruments are pretty highly evolved, even if they are different from what we think of as a "violin" or a "harpsichord." It's unlikely that they'd have a harpsichord, but it's entirely possible that someone heard a harpsichord on a digital recording, decided it was a cool sound, and reverse-engineered a hammer and string instrument -- maybe hand-hammered, maybe mechanical with  something more like a computer keyboard than a piano keyboard.  Or maybe they saw a picture of a harpsichord, but materials being what they are, wound up with something like a cross between a piano and marimbas. It looks like a harpsichord, it's called a harpsichord, but the acoustics and sound tone are really different. Micki