[LMB] The Law on Barrayar

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 02:01:34 GMT 2014

Howard:
Using a bow to play stringed instruments seems to be kind of unlikely - even though it actually happened in our world.  Plucked stringed weapons are much easier to invent.
Micki: But they aren't starting from zero. They have cultural memories of violins, basses and even saws played with a string. (And jug bands (-:.) The earliest ones may have recordings or reference materials. (But I bet the recordings got blasted in the Big Wormhole Collapse.) I'm sure scraping instruments would be there. I think almost every Earth culture has some sort of scraping instrument. It comes naturally out of work rhythms (grinding corn, scraping hides, the shuttle against the warp or weave).