[LMB] Marrying out of Vor

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Wed Dec 3 22:58:50 GMT 2014

I think of Heyer novels, where Lady So-and-So marries plain Mister Whoever.
Their children are of the aristocracy, but not the nobility.  Some of
Heyer's lead male characters were plain Misters, and not Lord or Sir
Whoevers--related to nobles and baronets and such and part of the Society
due to male descendance or the wife's title, but if the descendants did not
marry back into the nobility, they turned into e.g. the familes such as the
Heyer heorines who were second or third cousins of nobility, and in
semi-genteel poverty and social obsurity.

And again, the UK had -some- titles which women could inherit.

--Paula Lieberman