[LMB] Marrying out of Vor

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Wed Dec 3 23:13:29 GMT 2014

There's an absoute preference for boy babies in India especially and in
China and other countries, and there doesn;t need to be a one child policy
for the abortion of female fetuses or infanticide of newborn girls, to
occur.  Since legal slavery of the form the Greeks and Romans practiced on
unwanted daughters * didn't exist, the way families in countries where
families want and will raise sons preferentially over daughters, the option
is abortion or infanticide.  (Or in Taliban areas the women who had access
to ultrasound aborted female fetuses "because it is better to never be born
than grow up female under Taliban").

* "Every man, even a rich man, will expose a daughter.  Every man, even a
poor man, will raise a son."  -- quoted in  Women in Hellenistic Egypt by
Sarah B. Pomeroy.  Unwanted daughters were put outside the house for the
neighbors to take home and raise as slave, who were economically valuable
for producing good and services which provided services and cash to the
family taking the baby home to raise as a slave girl.   Raised by the birth
family as the daughter of a citizen, the family had to produce a dowry to
marry the girl off to a scion of some other family, and be out a very large
sum of money for the dowry which effectively became part of the wealth of
the groom's family.  So, every family wanted to get well-dowered daughters
of some other families to book the family's economic status  as wives for
their sons, and wanted only sons and no daughters, to avoid have to lose the
sums that dowries were, along with all the costs for raising daughters to
marriage age.

Some parts of Barrayar may still have had that, wasn't Bothari collecting
dowy money for Elena or some such?
--Paula Lieberman