[LMB] The Law on Barrayar

M R L Dolbear m.dolbear at lineone.net
Tue Dec 9 23:25:10 GMT 2014

From: Karen Hunt
Sent: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 11:00 PM

> LE>> And of course the explosive fishing with a stunner power pack except
> that Miles is not just a Vor but a Count's heir like  Aral when he issued
> the swordstick so can have a Nerve disruptor even.
>
> BOB!> I want to point out that Aral was not acting in his capacity as a
> Count's heir, but rather in his capacity as Koudelka's commanding officer.
> If it were after Aral was confirmed as Regent, he could issue Kou anything
> in the Barrayaran military inventory.
>

> Aral mentions both qualifications
>
> == Barrayar/ CH
>> "I see." He smiled a little. "Lieutenant Koudelka, as your commanding
>> officer and a vassal secundus to Ezar Vorbarra, I am officially issuing
>> you
>> this weapon of mine, to carry in the service of the Emperor, long may he
>> rule."

> Vassal Secundus does not mean Regent, though. Miles is a vassal secundus
> in
The Warrior's Apprentice, probably because he's a Count's heir (which Aral
is during _Barrayar_ as well). Mark is not-yet-sworn as such during Mirror
Dance, when he was not precisely a Count's heir as well.

> There might be other ways to be a vassal secundus, but that's all we have
in textev.

Indeed.

When I said
LE> Aral mentions both qualifications I was referencing

> BOB!> I want to point out that Aral was not acting in his capacity as a
> Count's heir, but rather in his capacity as Koudelka's commanding officer.

Not
More BOB!> If it were after Aral was confirmed as Regent, he could issue Kou
anything
> in the Barrayaran military inventory.

Little Egret by email (Windows Live Mail)
Michael Dolbear in Walton-on-Thames