[LMB] The Law on Barrayar

Walter Bushell proto at panix.com
Wed Dec 10 01:46:39 GMT 2014

On Dec 9, 2014, at 7:07 PM, Lois McMaster Bujold wrote:

> [LMB] The Law on Barrayar
> Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
> Tue Dec 9 23:00:05 GMT 2014

> > that Miles is not just a Vor but a Count's heir like  Aral when he issued
> > the swordstick so can have a Nerve disruptor even.
> >
> > BOB!> I want to point out that Aral was not acting in his capacity as a
> > Count's heir, but rather in his capacity as Koudelka's commanding officer.
> > If it were after Aral was confirmed as Regent, he could issue Kou anything
> > in the Barrayaran military inventory.

> LMB:  True.  And bemusing.
>
> Also bemusing is the fact that while the Barrayaran military issued Aral his secretaries while he was Regent (and therefore Commander-in-Chief) they kept up the habit after he was no such thing when he stepped back to prime minister.  I do wonder what rule-bending they ran in under that.

As The Gregor's primary advisor or second only to Cordelia, he could have almost
any staff. Hey Sire may I keep Koudelka on staff? Gregor turns to secretary, "Make
so." I would think though the question would ever come up. Rule by men, not laws.

> Also legally interesting was his ordering of the the _Prince Serg_ out of spacedock to go chase after Gregor, and, when things went pear-shaped in the Hegen Hub, put himself in operational command of not only it, but of whatever Alliance vessels he'd managed to talk/strongarm into following him.  (Pol and Aslund; the Jacksonian Consortium might have contributed something, but only on a for-hire basis.)  Well, technically I suppose its captain was still in command; Aral headed and directed the Alliance, all the ships in tactical array.

Rule by men and not by laws again. Of course, one normally follows the law and precedent under pain of having to explain to His Imperial Majesty Gregor Vorbarra.

> > Aral mentions both qualifications
> >
> > == Barrayar/ CH
> > "I see." He smiled a little. "Lieutenant Koudelka, as your commanding
> > officer and a vassal secundus to Ezar Vorbarra, I am officially issuing you
> > this weapon of mine, to carry in the service of the Emperor, long may he
> > rule."
> >

> Karen Hunt:  Vassal Secundus does not mean Regent, though. Miles is a vassal secundus in
> The Warrior's Apprentice, probably because he's a Count's heir (which Aral
> is during _Barrayar_ as well). Mark is not-yet-sworn as such during Mirror
> Dance, when he was not precisely a Count's heir as well.
>
> There might be other ways to be a vassal secundus, but that's all we have
> in textev.
>

> LMB:  Something I never had a chance to mention in the books was that that title -- vassal secundus -- is for a count's heir; a count would be a vassal primus.  I don't know if there are other descending gradations.
>
> Ta, L.

Never blame on stupidity what can be attributed to greed.