[LMB] Setting the story up

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 06:29:56 GMT 2014

Sometimes we don't even care that, by taking a step away from the
story and applying critical thinking, we can defeat the 'mystery'.
I'm think of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?", the movie version of the
novel "Who Censored Roger Rabbit?"

It's a fantastic movie, with a very obvious villain.  But the point
isn't figuring out who the villain is, the point is enjoying the
process of the protagonist discovering the entire story and collecting
the facts needed to demonstrate it.  The protagonist doesn't have
access to our knowledge of genre conventions, can't afford to make
risky judgments on appearances alone, and doesn't know he's in a work
of fiction.

I did enjoy re-reading "The Curse of Chalion" and "The Paladin of
Souls" so that I could identify all of the small events that, in
hindsight, the gods probably had some influence in.  Reading the book
the first time, without having the entire pattern in mind, they simply
seem to be minor coincidences.

Matt G.