[LMB] Marrying out of Vor

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at shellx.eskimo.com
Tue Dec 16 20:49:31 GMT 2014

On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 05:58:50PM -0500, Paula Lieberman wrote:
> I think of Heyer novels, where Lady So-and-So marries plain Mister
> Whoever. Their children are of the aristocracy, but not the
> nobility.

This is the English pattern -- only one child inherited the noble
status.  Vor status, on the contrary, seems to be extended to all
children (which is more the norm in European aristocracies).  What
this tended to mean, in both Europe and Japan, was that a large
large class of people developed who had _only_ the status, but
not the wealth that went along with it.  In England, these people
could gradually sink into the middle class while still being
connected to the rest of the family.  Elsewhere, not so much --
people hung _hard_ onto their status and its privileges because
that was all they had.

Tony Z

--
The ear is the greatest organ of intimacy -- Bill Loveless