[LMB] Happy Winterfare Everyone!

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Sat Dec 27 18:22:58 GMT 2014

> On Dec 27, 2014, at 10:38, Thomas C Vinson <t.vinson at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> Here the winter fare for Winterfair was goose with apple and potato stuffing, roasted by my daughter.  My son made the crust for the pizzas we ate the evening before.  After some consultation we decided that the planned roasted root vegetables (beets, multi-cool[u]red carrots, garlic, onion…) for the day itself were overstuff/overkill[1].

My family tradition is to go to a Benihana style restaurant (we use two tables now) on Christmas Eve.    When we started this tradition in 1980, there weren't many others there, but now it's crowded.    We have a much older tradition, from when I was a child, of going home after to discover Santa had been there while we were gone (it got modified a bit as I got older, to have the elves fill the stockings at night).   My mother would pull out one package for each person, we would open them to find pajamas, change clothes, and return.    My daughter's family has money and fewer presents which they open in the morning.   My son's family kept our tradition, so after our Christmas Eve dinner, my wife and I go to his house for presents.

Christmas morning was busy as my wife and my best friend's wife cooked a waffle breakfast for the people in our over-55 community, then in the afternoon we partied at my daughter's house.   We also have a grandson whose birthday was the 21st, a granddaughter (and a nephew), whose birthday was the 26th, and a granddaughter whose birthday will be the 29th.

I like to note a change in word meaning where I am still a traditionalist.   Christmas eve used to be the evening of Christmas, starting on sundown on the 24th.   (And Halloween was the same thing for All Saint's Day).   But the meaning has changed, even to the extent that Christmas eve eve is the 23rd.

I bet Barrayar has variations on its traditions as well.    I wonder how the other hemisphere handles winter/summer differences in its holidays.