[LMB] Fantasy heirarchies

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Sun Dec 28 16:51:58 GMT 2014

> On Dec 28, 2014, at 09:35, Elizabeth Stowe <estowe427 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Rachel: I suppose they would be in a sort of competition, but I was imagining a
> rather purposeless, impersonal competition. The Father would just go on
> cultivating his great souls with no thought to whether his machinations
> would result in him subsuming the other gods or not, because perhaps he has
> no care for whether the world continues or ends. So, less a particular
> grudge that he's holding against the Bastard and more a single-mindedness.
>
> es: Gotcha. The Father really interests me. I tend to think of him more as judge than warrior, despite Arhys.

I've been thinking about traditional depictions of fey, almost all with some kinds of royalty.   Of course, lots of their written tradition was written in countries that accepted royalty as normal.   Shakespeare needed to keep the powerful happy and probably accepted that as normal.   But I can see a fantasy world where the powerful beings eschew such structure and loyalties - they just wouldn't be welcome by our powerful.

It is refreshing to see a world where the gods don't emulate human structures.   The father doesn't rule all.