[LMB] Searching for an essay on The Sharing Knife

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Sun Dec 28 20:30:15 GMT 2014

[LMB] Searching for an essay on The Sharing Knife
John Lennard john.c.lennard at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 17:34:13 GMT 2014

Laura: No - those are good essays, yes, but not the ones I was looking for.

The one I'm thinking of was much more internal structure and how
earlier things related and were called back again by later parts of
the story and such, and less on outside influences.

Still hoping to find it.

John: Didn't think that sounded like me, though the essay in Croft's vol.
does have some observations about structure. I'd like to see it myself --
sounds interesting -- but my google-fu isn't turning up any obvious hit.

Is there anything else you can tell us about it, Laura? Did it deal with
all four volumes (which would mean 2009 or later), or a subset of nos 1-3?
Is there any odd word or phrase that sticks in your mind? Or if you're on
the same computer you had when you read it, might a history search pop
anything?

There's more stuff on TSK out there than I had realised, though a
distressing percentage of reviews, at Goodreads and elsewhere, are by folk
who very clearly Did Not Get what Lois was about, or were too busy going
"Ew! Girl cooties" that their braisn had stopped working altogether. *Sigh*

LMB:  I wonder if it might have been Jo Walton's reviews on Tor.com ?  I
thought she reviewed all four volumes, but a cursory glance just turns
up 2.  Maybe the first 2 came out before she started the blog posts there?

Passage:
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2009/01/western-fantasy-lois-mcmaster-bujolds-sharing-knife

Horizon:
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2009/02/lois-bujolds-the-sharing-knife-horizon

Amen the sigh re: all those reviews with, hm, misapplied reading
protocols.  Reminds me rather of all those reviews of the Chalion books
from readers with a profound tone-deafness for spiritual issues (not to
mention Iberian history, and its differences with Europe north of the
Pyrenees), who kept trying to process the world-building the way they
might a computer game's.

Ta, L.