[LMB] OT: Seasonal Stuff, was Happy Winter....

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Sun Dec 28 22:33:55 GMT 2014

Alcohol kills a lot of "bad" microbes.

--Paula Lieberman
-----Original Message-----
From: Howard Brazee
Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2014 12:06 PM
To: Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold.
Subject: Re: [LMB] OT: Seasonal Stuff, was Happy Winter....

> On Dec 28, 2014, at 09:56, Walter Bushell <proto at panix.com> wrote:
>
>>> I was just reading a paper that proposed that hominoids got their
>>> ability to handle alcohol,
>>> relative to other animals from eating fruit that fell to the ground and
>>> fermented.
>>
>> Huh?   Other animals eat fermented fruit and get drunk too.
>>

> Yes, but the need less to get wasted, proportionally.
>
> <https://www.sciencenews.org/article/origins-alcohol-consumption-traced-ape-ancestor>
>
> <http://www.livescience.com/48958-human-origins-alcohol-consumption.html>
>
> Or just think about it. Rotten fruit does not have a high concentration of
> alcohol. Just
> imagine how much fruit an elephant would have to consume to reach a .08 %
> blood level if
> elephants cleared alcohol as efficiently as humans.

I suspect the ability humans have to consume more alcohol didn't occur with
accidental fermentation.   After all, we are not alone in consuming that.
But later, once people learned to make our own alcohol, things changed.
Being able to keep save food and drink for later is a huge survival
advantage, even if it has the disadvantages of alcohol.    So those who are
able to still be competent while drinking, say, fermented mare's milk, have
better chances of survival.
Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to paal at filker.org
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk