[LMB] OT: Seasonal Stuff, (Dec 29) was Happy Winter....

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Mon Dec 29 16:01:58 GMT 2014

Some of the old apple varieties (which trees of keep declining in numbers...
there had been three or four in Burlington on Winn Street in front of a
school, then Burlington built a new school building there and cut down the
old apple trees, which presumable had been the remnants of an orchard a
street in the vicinity had been named after.  The last apple trees on
Orchard Hill in Natick got chainsawed years ago to build facilities for
Mathworks.  Surviving eating apple trees by highways got chainsawed for road
rework.  Developers cut down all trees.  Etc.  Grrrrr. ) were very
pest-resistant.  Although, a vestige of what may have been an orchard once
of an eating apple by the parking lot  of a Burlington strip mall (it's
against the parking lot for stores which include a Market Basket, there's a
brook behind it and on the other side of the brook is ithe parking lot for
H-Mart) bore no fruit this year, I presume the winter moth larvae (or some
other such insect) ate the pistils of the flower buds (which happened to my
eating apple trees, and several of the volunteer crab apples.  Two crabs
were unaffected by it, though).

--Paula Lieberman