[LMB] OT: Seasonal Stuff, was Happy Winter....

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Mon Dec 29 18:30:20 GMT 2014

On Dec 29, 2014, at 12:54 PM, mmjustus at mmjustus.com wrote:

> This is also what farmers' markets are for.  I live a couple of hours away from one of the biggest apple-growing (and other fruit as well) regions in the world (central Washington state), and sometimes I think our supermarkets get the dregs after all the good stuff is shipped overseas.  But our farmers' markets and produce stands get the good stuff, and that's where I buy most of my produce in season.

I buy most of our fruit and vegetables from local farmers' markets, local orchards, our CSA farm, etc., but we do have an old apple tree that has the most fragrant apples--something like Stayman-Winesap, we think--when it produces at all.  Last year was the best year we've ever had, and this year we didn't get any apples.  We are also trying to grow a Bramley's Seedling (planted a new one last year after the one we'd planted some years ago died); Bramley apples are not available at all in the northeast US, that I've been able to find, and they make the best pies.  I am also very fond of Ida Reds, which are grown locally, but I have to remember to look for them at the right time; at least some years, they're only available for a few weeks.

Katherine