[LMB] OT: Seasonal Stuff, was Happy Winter....

BlueRose stacey at xtra.co.nz
Tue Dec 30 07:07:02 GMT 2014

On 30/12/2014 7:39 a.m., mmjustus at mmjustus.com wrote:
> I wish I had the space to grow fruit trees, but I live in a condo with
> a very small amount of yard space.  My father planted fruit trees and
> bushes in the yards of several of the houses we lived in while I was
> growing up, and it was fun to pick our own fruit.  We also had an
> enormous strawberry bed in the backyard of one house.  Yum.
>
> Megaera

Ive seen photos of your backyard and you certainly do have room, trust
me, my section isn't much bigger than yours tho I have extra space down
one side of my driveway.

But I have a dwarf apricot and peach, both barely 4-5 ft hi and about
4ft at the widest.  A triple grafted apple espaliered on a fence of
similar dimensions.  Strawberries and tomatoes in 1m long 50cm wide/deep
tubs.  A lemon tree, black currant and redcurrant in the garden, and
best of all a dwarf cherry tree which is about 7 ft tall now but barely
4 ft across and not likely to get too much taller.

Also plant lettuce, courgettes, potatoes and peas in the spaces between
the fruit trees.  I have a couple of patches for flowers but most of the
garden is for food production :)

Stacey