[LMB] Chalion -- definition of a great-souled man or woman

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Tue Dec 30 17:33:24 GMT 2014

On Tue, December 30, 2014 5:38 am, Elizabeth Stowe wrote:
> Is the concept of being a great soul a technical term which defines an
> extraordinary person who, as the quintessence of humanity, interacts with
> the gods?
>
> Or, is it a slightly hyperbolic way of describing an exemplar (in humans'
> eyes)?
>
> For instance, the Golden General used gifts from the gods for his
> personal ends, especially in cloaking the demon inside Joen. No great
> soul there, unless you're a normal guy who says "Wow! Look what he
> accomplished in 30 short years! Must've been loved by the gods!"
>
> I'm trying to figure out the definition.

I seem to recall Cazaril (or Umegat?) saying that the gods do not measure
greatness as humans do.  Some of what they love is great in human terms
(e.g., Arhys' nobility and leadership).  A great deal more may not be very
visible from the outside.  Quiet devotion, burning craziness, a peaceful
life of service, a clever craftsmanship, the burning incandescence of
Alexander or Achilles dying young, the old woman raging against the fall
of night -- who knows what qualities are valued by the gods?

(Presumably They encourage people to devote themselves to paths of
greatness; there is a two-way communication flow, after all.  But perhaps
sometimes They desire a garden of black roses instead of pink -- cf. Caz's
words to Ista at the end of CoC -- or want some cotton candy to go along
with the thorns.)

I'm guessing that "great-souled" includes a wide variety of possible
definitions.

Tony Zbaraschuk