[LMB] Cordelia's abortion attitudes

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Sat Feb 8 18:40:18 GMT 2014

On Sat, Feb 08, 2014 at 01:24:03PM -0500, Gretchen Wright wrote:

> In _SoH_, shortly after Bothari breaks Cordelia's ribs we have this:
>
> The feeble joke did nothing to dissolve the clot of hysteria rising in her
> throat, so she fell back on an older and more serious discipline,
> whispering its words aloud. By the time she finished self-control had
> returned.
>
> Now I could swear I remember reading a discussion in some forum, where Lois
> was asked what the "older and more serious discipline" was, and replied
> what the specific source was for the words that Cordelia was reciting,
> which unfortunately I don't remember, but it was something from an eastern
> religion. I remember being surprised at the time and thinking, "Oh, I
> thought Cordelia was a Christian." Maybe the quote that Karen cites above

Heh, I'd never noticed that detail in the text.
But I'd think that borrowing 'eastern' meditation techniques and mantras
wouldn't be that unlikely for a modern liberal Christian, let alone a
Unitarianish one, let alone a Unitarianisn one from the year 3000 AD.

Though frankly I'd expect some sort of
mindfulness/meditation/self-control training to be part of Betan
education from first grade on, a la
http://blogs.kqed.org/mindshift/2014/01/low-income-schools-see-big-benefits-in-teaching-mindfulness/

-xx- Damien X-)