[LMB] Miles and Richard III

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 15 15:57:05 GMT 2014

> From: Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net>

Snips
> Well, your "for everywhere" seems a lot vaguer than "transfer well".
> Diverse people can appreciate diverse situations -- as I said!; but
> "transfer well" sounds more specific.  People have transfered Richard
> III to some WWII-ish fascist Britain, but transfering it to some more
> peaceful and democratic time seems like it'd be harder.

Not really - you just judge the scale needed. Maybe not kings and
kingdoms, but think of a modern-dress production set in a big
company boardroom. Betans might appreciate the angst there -
Komarrans certainly would. Or set the play on Jackson's Whole.

> The Histories in particular transfer well to a Barrayar that is as
> monarchical and recently war-torn as Shakespeare's Britain (and even
> more so in the Bloody Centuries themselves.)  You can make nearly one to
> one correspondences between Henriad and Barrayaran plot elements.  For
> Betans, there can be "people being people", but the politics are far
> more alien.  And the sexual psychology.

But Betans also value education, so you're likely to find enough
of an audience among those who have studied history, or psychology,
or politics, or literature.

> Beta aside... I wonder if the comedies ring oddly to herms?  Yes, they
> might play the crossdressers well, but the psychology might seem weird.
> Even more so, imagine another utopian population that's tweaked its
> brain chemistry to be asexuals, or to be more effectively polyamorous
> without possessiveness or jealousy.  Standard pair-bonding romance might
> have a lot less resonance or appeal to them.

Or it might mean even more - herms would really understand the yearning
for a partner who understands you, and a place to belong.

Beta isn't the only possible audience, of course. It seems that the plays are
still current on Komarr - Duv recognised Miles's performance. He's
studied Barrayaran politics, but I doubt he memorised vast amounts of
plays popular on Barrayar. More likely he knows it, at least a version of it,
from Komarr (and wouldn't RIII transfer well to Komarr? Think of it set in
one of the big families - the Toscanes perhaps?)

Yep, everywhere. One way or another.

Gwynne