[LMB] Englishes (no longer Ot because I have obBujolded)

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Thu Feb 20 20:08:42 GMT 2014

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 07:34:15PM +0000, John Lennard wrote:

> The tale of a kid with cancer could be a tragedy, a weepie, a satire, or
> even a comedy. So might your 2, 3, and 4. But "I have a kind, you have a
> kid, there's just one gold medal" doesn't seem to me in any imaginable
> sense a tragedy ; a film, say, that sought to make not winning Olympic Gold
> a tragedy would ... not I think succeed.

I was too brief, or trying to be too clever in my theme; I meant to
imply parents sabotaging the other kid so that theirs wins.

Prisoner's dilemma really is closer to what I wanted: the awareness that
you're choosing a bad outcome and the inability to do otherwise.  This
seems to fit the Oedipal "this should have been avoidable yet wasn't
avoidable".

-xx- Damien X-)