[LMB] The dreaded Rank Thread

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 17:22:19 BST 2014

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 11:07 AM, Paula Lieberman <paal at filker.org> wrote:

> As fopr you're sick of attacks on Ivan,

Ivan is Gwynne's golden boy.  I like him well enough, but can admit he has
done attack-worthy deeds in his lifetime.

> I object to being told that my experiences with gorfs like Yound Ivan, are
> dismissable and irrelevant, and that TV commercials showing how the point
> of view of an Ivan-like seen-by-other-males as desired by women, is seen by
> some women as stupid jerk asses....

So, if he's such a jerk, why would you inflict him as a husband on Donna,
who has surely had her share of jerks in teh family?

>  .. the fellow who came up with the defintion of "gorf" of "a fellow who
> goes around sniffing the seats of girls's bicycles to me is the sort of
> thing Young Ivan would have done.  After all, he was swiving the
> servants... something something of the sort that e.g. Wagner did and that
> was regarded as uncouth....

And then, he grew up.  Hopfully Adult-Ivan was more couth than teen-Ivan

>  "I never understood what women went through until I visited San Francisco
> and got hit on by other men." --  Captain George Mills, Communications
> Officer when I was  in Thule. I laughed my ass off internally wanting the
> bisexual male Danes, turned down by and other women, hitting on the US
> males, and the US males disliking getting the same treatment women get,
> from men.

Turnabout is fair play, but disgusting behavior is still disgusting.

> He wanted to get married because he was at a point where his society
> EXPECTED it as a default,

Which is actually why a LOT of people marry, male and female.  Also a
reason that people go into the 'family business' or why you have military
family, accounting family, carpenter family...

> or maybe he was feeling lonely since everyone else of his association
> except for  By, or his cohort in his circles, was marrying and that was
> leaving him out.  Awww, poor unfortunate Ivan -- NOT!

Which was about what Miles said to him - Ivan, did you propose to two
sisters on the same day?  *snort*